Wednesday, February 3, 2010

9. Teaching Demonstration

You will hear many things about this utterly ridiculous demo that you have to do. One caveat, this school is a flagship school; they are considered the prime example of a “good” school because of how much money they fling around. So, you will have various schools coming to see your demo. Don’t worry too much about it, it’s completely simulated. The teachers will even want to run the demo on the actual class before hand, as if doing 6 other similar classes wasn’t enough practice. I’d suggest against this, it screws up the timing. You can, as I relented to, allow them to explain rules or whatnot beforehand.

Another thing about the demo, some schools send their native teachers to many of the schools around the area so that they can “learn” and watch other demos. For example one woman went to around 10, by the time I barely went to one. She was elementary school and was going to middle school and high school demos. This school is quite the opposite. You’ll be really lucky if you get to see one. I forced them to send me to one before I did mine. I wasn’t even officially supposed to go but I got snuck into it.

I had a fairly unpleasant time doing/making that demo. Ms. Bak wants you to do all the work, of course. I made it a point to make it as difficult for her as I could. That was around the fifth month working here, around the same time the last guy quit last year, also the same time your motivation drops and never really regains. I told her to do the lesson and I would make the power point, because that’s my specialty – eye-candy. She griped and griped, but finally caved and made the multi-page play by play (you say/do this I say/do that), then I made the power point and totally changed everything of what she had. I pretty much made my own lesson and scrapped her crappy lesson. I did what I said I would and just overrode her work that took a few days for her… oh well, good practice that they never get. After I made the power point, she made numerous “suggestions” (mini-fights in their own right) to work herself into the equation more to make her look better. She even got criticized at the after demo review by another Korean teacher that said she was doing too much and the demo was supposed to be a review of my teaching skills… so that backfired on her.

She asked for the power point slides many times, I refused every time. They don’t deserve to get something they didn’t do. I have distinctive power point making skills from numerous uses in grad school. If it was that important to have in the first place they should have made it themselves and made an effort to be a real co-teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment