Wednesday, February 3, 2010

3. Previous NET Employment

There have only been 3 native English teachers previously employed before me. Through various accounts I have pieced together some things about them. The first was a highly strict teacher and the students were scared of her, I can totally see this type of teaching being the only effective method at this school. I believe she finished her contract. The second teacher was a female and was here for 3 (or more?) months, she got pregnant from her visiting boyfriend (a nice loophole) and left. The third teacher was a man, he worked here for 3-5 months and quit, asked to quit, or was fired (maybe all of the above). He supposedly didn’t do any lesson planning at all and hated his entire ordeal here at this school. He hated it enough in fact he didn’t even wait to the 6 month mark to get his airplane ticket reimbursed; in some ways I can see why. And me, I have too many outside reasons to complete my contract here; I came with my fiancĂ©e and have student loans. So I will be finishing my contract albeit begrudgingly. I really wish I could have left earlier. Middle school is the worst of all teaching jobs in Korea, and this school is probably one of the top worst schools.

They will compare you to anyone and everyone. Be ready for it, they’re really shallow like that. It’s not that you’re an individual and you’re judged on you. Here, you’re judged on how they can compare you to others. I took 2 sick days and was immediately compared to the guy that quit; they didn’t inform me that he had taken many sick days before quitting. Taking two sick days to westerners is like “hey, I’m really sick,” not “hey, I’m going to quit,” lol. This comparison stereotyping is amazing considering that even among the Korean co-teachers there are tremendous differences in teaching and quality of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment