Thursday, February 4, 2010

29. Intellectual Theft

As for their sticky fingers when it comes to lesson plans, don’t let them have too much. I would purposefully take the significant parts out of dittos and put them into my power point slides. The student would still get photocopies, but it would mostly be the busy work. Although my slides were on the classroom podium computer, they were password locked. If they wanted to see them, which was virtually never, they would have to come to me and ask to see them. One of the things I learned in business is that you should never make yourself replaceable. If you give them your materials they can just hire someone else to take your place and reuse your materials without you. If they make you submit your lessons, I might suggest submitting a really dumbed-down version. I figure the worst they could do is make you do a lesson plan outline which should have nothing to do with your computer files. Also, if you do give your lessons to them, they can probably pretend that they helped you make some of it or reviewed it, when in reality they didn’t. Appearance, even greatly falsified, is everything here.

No comments:

Post a Comment