Thursday, February 4, 2010

19. Summer and Winter Camp

Don’t expect to be told about these schedules until last minute. But, badger them at will about it. So for my summer camp they wanted to make me teach for 3 weeks – One level per week. This turned out to be feasibly impossible. There were roughly 20 students 1st levels for the first week. The second week was supposed to be 2nd levels but they had to combine 2nd and 3rd levels and I still only had about 8 students. The third week was tentatively proposed as teach the teachers English class, but as I already expected, I knew they wouldn’t attend. So, like many, you’ll seat-warm. Whether I taught or not, I only stayed half the day, until lunch. It’s possibly because the other Korean teachers leave as well or possibly because they don’t provide lunch. At least it was only half the day for me for the summer, for most foreigners it’s staying the whole day, every day.

Winter camp was more of the same, although it was unexpectedly five weeks long. Level 1: 8 students, 2 weeks. Level 3: 5 students, 2 weeks. Teacher’s kids: 3 students, 1 week. The camps will range from about 2-5 weeks for different schools. My school was in a transition mode, the teachers were moving rooms. So, unexpectedly, after 3 ½ weeks, I was kicked out of my room and effectively thrown into the teacher’s preparing room (this by all means was a walk in closet: no whiteboard, no projector, no chalkboard, two chairs, and one desktop computer). I did ask how I was supposed to teach with no resources whatsoever, but it was quickly ignored. There were classrooms available, but they didn’t want to let me use them for some reason or another; it's much more convenient for them to throw me into a closet.

My two choices where go sit/teach in the teachers room (under the watchful eye of everyone), or go to the teacher’s preparing room. Hmm… let me think. When both choices suck, I guess I’ll choose the less sucky of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment