Wednesday, February 3, 2010

14. Afterschool Classes

The afterschool advanced classes may be taught with a co-teacher (2 of mine were). They will more than likely try to make you do the entire lesson planning for the after school classes as well. I did them for the first semester as stressed as I already was. Then, I came to realize that they are also getting paid more to teach the afterschool classes and just show up to translate a few words. So, I made them do the lesson planning for the second semester. It doesn’t make sense and isn’t fair that you make all the lesson plans and they do absolutely nothing but show up and take a pay increase.

Ms. Gang ended up doing True Stories lessons for the entire semester afterschool (extremely boring since she uses no interactive stimuli whatsoever). You’ll just read some uber long passage to the class and read the questions aloud. Ms. Bak tried to follow the administrative orders to do science lessons and managed to pull various lessons from somewhere (i.e. solar system, making 3D glasses). Ms. Bak will push you entirely out of the picture though (i.e. wander aimlessly), just letting you know just in case it bothers you.

About midway through the second semester, they informed me that they didn’t want to pay me overtime for the classes because I was only teaching 20 classes and the school isn’t technically supposed to pay overtime until you teach over 22. So they told me they took away my overtime pay, what I wasn’t aware of was that they weren’t paying me the overtime as we went along, they were paying it at the end of the semester (this goes contrary to the contract as well, all wages should be paid every month). So I was pretty much working 1/3 the semester after school for no reason – yeah, thanks. Then, they asked if I would be willing to teach the afterschool classes without overtime pay… um, that’s a “hell-no.” So, then there were no afterschool classes for me after that. It was within their power to put them into the school day, but most of the teachers are too lazy to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment