Wednesday, February 3, 2010

1. Introduction

This is my personal guide. It regards my experiences teaching English in South Korea. I probably come off as bitter, but I explain that thoroughly. Although I’m not normally bitter, I became that way. I do not suggest anyone come South Korea to teach English; Korean people have not learned how to treat foreigners with respect. In a way, I could describe foreigners working in Korea as a modern day slavery.

I hated working in South Korea and one year is a long time to think about why. I came here, tried really hard to fit in, to do my job well, learn about this profession, and adjust. Numerous problems I encountered with the system, a totally unorganized/lawless system, caused my degradation. Most people want to be treated fairly and with respect; good luck in finding that here.

Not every teaching job is the same; in fact, they are all different in various ways. Quality of Korean co-teachers tends to make a significant difference. Elementary schools are especially different from middle and high schools. I think Korea is long overdue for an overhaul of how they treat the foreign teachers or co-teachers (or whatever other title they feel like giving us, since they love the ability to suppress our equality from them in various ways).

I am writing this so that it may inform future teachers that may work at Anseong All-Girls Middle School in South Korea. Possibly, this will also be for those that have taught or will teach at a middle school or high school anywhere in Korea. Or lastly, this can be for any of those considering teaching in South Korea. If you asked me, I’d advise against going there. They do pay you the most per cost of living out of any other country, but you’re sticking your hand into a bag of tacks.

I hope you have prior teaching experience and that you are prepared for this place. It will test you in many ways. Gordon Walton, a Bioware game developer, said “We are driven to be more than what we are, all the time.” I think it’s very true, but this school, like many, is full of Korean workplace politics and cultural hierarchy that has limited growth potential for so long.

There is no support system in place. No help of any kind to be seen, ever. Be wary of helping them beyond the bare requirements of your job, your extra work will quickly be forgotten. No extra work will help you in any way. If you already work at this school right now, I am sorry.

This guides information won’t quickly degrade overtime, changes occur way too slow in Korea. Koreans have a lot of things to fix and a long way to go; real improvement hasn’t even begun yet.

ESL is totally downgraded, what you teach, what the students are willing to learn, and especially what effort you are willing to exert in the indifferent land of purgatory. Korean students have been ‘learning’ for years, even by middle school I’ve met one semester college students back in the states that can say more than the majority here can. Seems like a waste, maybe they should just teach English to the students that have the aptitude and desire to learn and stop wasting time, money, and effort, on trying to teach everyone, but that’s just my two cents. Korean parents are under the impression that their children can learn through their attendance, hence the filled public school classrooms and private schools.

The things I say here are not news; it’s all well known already. Bits and pieces are scattered across the web. Personal accounts are seemingly drowned out in a sea of lies.

I will leave Korea knowing more Korean than when I came in, knowing that I hate almost every aspect of Korea, knowing that I will spend the rest of my life hating my experience there, and knowing that Korea is a cold and heartless place that I never wish existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment